Klockwerk: The Shadow in the Cathedral
Gears and cogs, racks and pinions, wheels within wheels within wheels. This is the substance of life for Wren, a ward of the monks in the Abbey of Time. In the city of St. Phillip, everything runs by clockwork, including the government and the church. As Second Assistant Clock Polisher in the Abbey of Time, Wren is the smallest gear in the vast machine. But big things can happen when even the smallest gear slips out of place. Welcome to the world of Klockwerk.
The Shadow in the Cathedral is my first work of interactive fiction to be available commercially, courtesy of Textfyre.com. The design and story was by Ian Finley (Babel, Kaged). The standard version is available now and the Deluxe version, with illustrations and interactive map, should be along soon.
- Shadow was nominated for 5 XYZZY awards: Best Writing, Best Story, Best Setting, Best Game and Best Use of Medium.
- The Shadow in the Cathedral reviews on IFDB, SPAG magazine, and Play This Thing!
- Game, Set, Watch ran a column focusing on Shadow’s world-building and prose.
- Play the demo online.
- Buy the full game (Windows only, for now!).
Make It Good
4.8 / 5 – JayisGames.com
“Brilliantly conceived and ambitiously executed” — Emily Short
You’re a dick, called to a plush house in the hills. A murder. Some dead guy splattered across the carpet of his study. They’ve given you one day – your last one day – to make a decent bust or you’re going to be out on your ear, and that’s bad news. One of the faces inside that house had better be guilty… but which one?
Written over the course of nine years, Make It Good features a twisting plot and five interactable NPC suspects to intimidate, interrogate and outwit.
- Make It Good was nominated for 5 XYZZY awards: Best Writing, Best Story, Best NPCs (for characters), Best Individual PC (for the narrator) and Best Game.
- Download the z8 story-file.
- Play Make It Good online using Parchment.
- Make It Good was featured on jayisgames.com.
- Reviews and Ratings: IFDB, Emily Short (mild spoilers), Play This Thing! review, Massimo Stella’s blog, Francesco Cordella (in Italian, second half has strong spoilers), SPAG (some strong spoilers).
Morning in Venice, and you are about to hang. But for a man like you – someone special – escape is never impossible. You are a thief, an assassin – but who are you?
All Roads is a complex and puzzling story. It won Best Game, Best Setting and Best Story in the 2001 XYZZY Awards and was placed in the top 5 modern IF games by AdventureGamers.com.
- All Roads was mentioned by the Guardian’s GamesBlog, who wrote “The best of these manage to be both literature and game”.
- It was also listed in the New Scientist’s top 5 e-lit works in its Storytelling 2.0 blog article.
- Download the z5 story-file.
- Play All Roads online using Parchment.
- A full walkthrough is provided here
This is a room in which people talk. Sitting across the table from you is Mars’ first murderer, quaking with fear in six times the gravity he’s used to.
You need a confession – but for a man with your particular talents that shouldn’t be too hard…
Insight is science-fiction, set on a Mars colonised – and fractionalised – by genetic engineering. It has a few surprises up its sleeve, too – if you get stuck, don’t be afraid to start over and try again…
Arkwright’s strange and crumbling house, in which the old man lives surrounded by rotting treasures: his books. You have come to value him, but his most valuable book is also his most dangerous…
Dead Cities was written for the Lovecraft Commonplace Book exhibition. It took Best in Show in the Interactive Fiction category and was on display in MusÃˆe de la science fiction, de l’utopie et des voyages in Switzerland (October 2008).
- Play Dead Cities online using ZMPP, a Java-based interpreter. (Note: it’s a little slow on first load.)
- Download Dead Cities as a gblorb game-file (for which you will need a Glulx interpreter program).
Fail-Safe uses an innovative approach to IF, framed as a radio-conversation with the game’s protagonist. It was nomiated for Best Non-Player Character on its release and has received several 5-star reviews.
- Fail-Safe was featured on jayisgames.com.
- Read the review from SPAG.
- Play Fail-Safe online using Parchment.
Till Death Makes a Monkfish Out of Me!